I am calling out the bell clanging, begging ass, militant cult hustlers known as the Salvation Army. I am talking about the fools who set up shop in front of every major big box chain store in a scam designed to guilt the public into funding their bigoted agenda. The SA foot soldiers disturb the peace with their loud arse clanging bells and only bless the suckers who stuff green into their receptacles.
Few people are aware of the SA evil agenda – one which discriminates based on one’s religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and medical condition. Here are a few reasons to ignore the SA cult, big-box store, beggars this holiday season.
- Money given to the SA is used to fund lobbying efforts that promote a bigoted right-wing religious and sexual orientation discrimination agenda (such as denying equal rights to same-sex couples).
- As part of President Bush’s “faith-based initiative,” US taxpayers gave the Salvation Army’s children services division $47 million this year — 95% of its total budget. Several Salvation Army employees refused to take the Salvation Army’s pledge “proclaiming Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord,” reveal which church they belong to or identify gay co-workers — and were summarily fired. (source)
- The SA has been accused of denying financial assistance and shelter to homosexuals and HIV+ individuals. They have also been accused of pressuring those in need to attend their religious services in exchange for their “charity.”
- Salvation Army leaders met behind closed doors with the Bush White House to come up with a strategy for passing a law that would allow government-funded groups to fire people for refusing to join the religions of their bosses.
- The SA actively persecutes homosexuals by conducting witch-hunts within their ranks. Suspected homosexuals are terminated from employment and benefits are denied to same sex couples.
In the interest of full disclosure, I do most of my clothes shopping at my local Salvation Army thrift store. But, I minimize my contributions to their dastardly bigot agenda by only shopping on half-off Tuesdays. That way I can still get killer duds for cheap and not feel so bad about funding the hate.